MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials who have attracted much attention in recent years, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and also have shown broad application prospects in numerous fields. The following is an in depth guide to the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
What exactly is MAX material?
MAX phase material is a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material consisting of M, A, X elements on the periodic table, collectively referred to as “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, like titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the key group elements, including aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer is composed of M, A, X, the 3 elements of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Due to their electrical conductivity of metal and high strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, they may be commonly used in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding along with other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is actually a new form of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material with all the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, composed of three elements using the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M refers to the transition metal, A refers to the main-group elements, and X refers to the elements of C or N. The MXene material is actually a graphene-like structure obtained through the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. MXenes material are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials made up of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Uses of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the excellent physical properties of MAX materials make them have a variety of applications in structural materials. As an example, Ti3SiC2 is a kind of MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which could be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials will also be used in functional materials. For example, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and could be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. Additionally, some MAX materials also have better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties can be used in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which can be used in energy materials. For instance, K4(MP4)(P4) is one from the MAX materials with higher ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which can be used as a raw material to manufacture solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
Exactly What are MXene materials?
MXene materials really are a new form of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, like the structure of graphene. The top of MXene materials can connect with more functional atoms and molecules, along with a high specific area, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation ways of MXene materials usually include the etching management of the MAX phase and also the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties like electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics may be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials are a new form of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials composed of metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, like high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., in addition to good chemical stability and the cabability to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Uses of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and therefore are popular in energy storage and conversion. For instance, MXene materials can be used as electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. Furthermore, MXene materials could also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to boost the action and stability of the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity can be utilized in electromagnetic protection. As an example, MXene materials can be used as electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, and other applications in electronic products and personal protection, enhancing the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and may be used in sensing and detection. For instance, MXene materials can be used as gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which may realize high sensitivity and selectivity detection of gases. Furthermore, MXene materials may also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics as well as other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. Later on, with the continuous progress of science and technology as well as the improving demand for services for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application regions of MAX and MXene materials will be further expanded and improved. The following aspects can become the main focus of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mainly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. Later on, new preparation technologies and methods can be further explored to understand a much more efficient, energy-saving and eco-friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials has already been high, there is however still room for further optimization. Later on, the composition, structure, surface treatment along with other facets of the content can be studied and improved thorough to boost the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials have already been popular in lots of fields, but you can still find many potential application areas to get explored. In the future, they could be further expanded, like in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection along with other fields.
In conclusion, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show a broad application prospect in numerous fields. Using the continuous progress of technology and science and also the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application parts of MAX and MXene materials will likely be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.